Podcast Episode 13 | Independent Contractors and Employees
WITH CATHERINE LOCALLO
- Podcast Episode 13 | Independent Contractors and Employees 00:00
Hey everyone! I’m excited to share my interview with Catherine Locallo for episode 13 of The Group Practice Exchange Podcast, an attorney who has a background on employment law. We talk about several questions that are brought up by group practice owners regarding to hiring employees or independent contractors. More information about where to reach Catherine is below. Enjoy!
- What is the difference between a 1099 and W2?
- What are the financial differences between having W2s and employees?
- What’s the difference (for therapists) between a practice owner subletting one of their offices to another therapist versus having them as a 1099?
- Is the 20 factor test the only test to determine whether an individual is an independent contractor or employee?
- Under the IRS 20 factor “control test” must all 20 criteria be met in order for an individual to qualify as an employee or independent contractor?
- The IRS states that if you furnish the tools and materials than employer relationship is more likely. How can we even have 1099s then, since our “tools” are couches, chairs, desks, which are always already at the office?
- In your opinion, what factors suggest to you that an individual may be an employee rather than an independent contractor?
You can reach Catherine Locallo at http://www.rsnlt.com/attorneys/catherine-r.-locallo/?back=attorneys. ph: 312.332.7760 e: [email protected]
Although the information presented during this podcast is considered accurate, it is not, nor should it be construed to be legal advice. If you have an individual problem or incident that involves a topic covered in this document, please seek a legal opinion that is based upon the facts of your particular case.
Maureen Werrbach is a psychotherapist, group practice owner and group practice coach. Learn more about her coaching services here: LEARN MORE HERE
Thanks For Listening
Thanks for listening to the group practice exchange podcast. Like what you heard? Give us five stars on whatever platform you’re listening from. Need extra suppor? Join The Exchange, a membership community just for group practice owners with monthly office hours, live webinars, and a library of trainings ready for you to dive into visit www dot members dot the group practice exchange dot com forward slash exchange. See you next week.
Here are the resources and guides we recommend based on this episode
All Call Technologies provides customized virtual phone services for mental health professionals and small medical offices. All systems include encrypted voice mail for HIPAA compliance. And “Dial Through” allows the clinician to make calls out and show the business number as the caller ID.
To receive a $50 discount off of your setup fee enter code TGPE.
* I am an affiliate for some of the businesses I recommend. These are companies that I use in my own group practice, and make recommendations based off of my experience with them. When you use some of these companies through my links, I receive compensation, which helps me continue to offer great free information on my podcast, blog, Facebook group, and website.
Meet your host
Maureen Werrbach is a psychotherapist, group practice owner and group practice coach. Learn more about her coaching services here:
The podcast is structured so that you get practice building tips in small doses, where an episode can be listened to (and a group practice building lesson can be learned) in a single car ride.
Episodes are structured into categories: coaching sessions where I coach a group practice owner on a specific topic, tips of the day by yours truly, real talk where you get to be a fly on the wall while an established group practice owner and I talk about the highs and lows of ownership, and trainings done by experts in the field.
Don’t miss an episode! Download The Group Practice Exchange Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher or Google Play and don’t forget to subscribe and rate TGPE
* The content of this post is intended to serve as general advice and information. It is not to be taken as legal advice and may not account for all rules and regulations in every jurisdiction. For legal advice, please contact an attorney.