Episode 38: How to Have a Teaching Group Practice with Christopher Smith
WITH CHRISTOPHER SMITH
- Episode 38: How to Have a Teaching Group Practice with Christopher Smith 00:00
In today’s podcast interview, I talk with The Rev. Christopher L. Smith, LCAC, LMHC, LMFT on setting up a teaching group practice. In the episode, we talk about:
- How the teaching model came about for him, and if this was planned or something that he grew into. (*hint: it wasn’t planned!)
- What the benefits are in focusing on a model of teaching in practice. (*Broader reach)
- Challenges and considerations one might face when implementing a teaching model with interns and residents/provisionally licensed therapists. *Think supervision, time spent, financial.
- Broader goals/impact a teaching practice can have on the community.
It was fun to learn about how a teaching group practice benefits not only emerging therapists and allows Christopher to impact the minds of these therapists, but also be able to serve the community in a new way.
Take a listen!
The Rev. Christopher L. Smith, LCAC, LMHC, LMFT is the President and Clinical Director of Seeking Shalom Mental Health Counseling, P.C. and of Seeking Shalom Marriage and Family Therapy, P.C., both in New York, NY (more information about these may be found at www.SeekingShalom.org). He personally works with individuals, couples and families on a variety of mental health issues incorporating spirituality into the therapeutic process. In these practices, he supervises other psychotherapists (most of whom are at different pre-licenure stages) and provides consultation to religious leaders about how these two dimensions of people’s lives interact. He also maintains a minimal clinical role in Indiana. Christopher was trained at Yale University and completed his residency at Lutheran Hospital of Indiana. His knowledge, experience and training is broad. Christopher also has authored books such as “Honest Talk About Serious Mental Illness” and several resources for therapists (available through https://www.bigapplepublishing.com/shalompress/resourcestoaidshalom/) and has published on sites such as Yahoo and PBS This Emotional Life.
Uriah Guilford and his team at The Productive Therapist provide the admin support that you need to grow your practice and also have a life! Your dedicated assistant can help with phone support – return calls and emails promptly, intake coordination, content & email marketing, EHR setup & management, social media & much more. And what’s great, is that Uriah knows what group practice owners need because he’s a group practice owner too! Mention TGPE and get 2 hours of free training time with your assistant!
Maureen Werrbach is a psychotherapist, group practice owner and group practice coach. Learn more about her coaching services here: LEARN MORE HERE
Thanks For Listening
Thanks for listening to the group practice exchange podcast. Like what you heard? Give us five stars on whatever platform you’re listening from. Need extra suppor? Join The Exchange, a membership community just for group practice owners with monthly office hours, live webinars, and a library of trainings ready for you to dive into visit www dot members dot the group practice exchange dot com forward slash exchange. See you next week.
Here are the resources and guides we recommend based on this episode
* I am an affiliate for some of the businesses I recommend. These are companies that I use in my own group practice, and make recommendations based off of my experience with them. When you use some of these companies through my links, I receive compensation, which helps me continue to offer great free information on my podcast, blog, Facebook group, and website.
Meet your host
Maureen Werrbach is a psychotherapist, group practice owner and group practice coach. Learn more about her coaching services here:
The podcast is structured so that you get practice building tips in small doses, where an episode can be listened to (and a group practice building lesson can be learned) in a single car ride.
Episodes are structured into categories: coaching sessions where I coach a group practice owner on a specific topic, tips of the day by yours truly, real talk where you get to be a fly on the wall while an established group practice owner and I talk about the highs and lows of ownership, and trainings done by experts in the field.
Don’t miss an episode! Download The Group Practice Exchange Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher or Google Play and don’t forget to subscribe and rate TGPE
* The content of this post is intended to serve as general advice and information. It is not to be taken as legal advice and may not account for all rules and regulations in every jurisdiction. For legal advice, please contact an attorney.